Friday, May 23, 2008

Where I'm from...

I AM FROM

I am from B-10 Hillside Manor Apartments, "Arnie, get me a beer.", a mole, the smell of Old Spice & fuzzy sweaters, green wooden letters on a wall.

I am from a big sister with Sarah Beth, monkey bars, the zipper, worrying about her while she watches E.T. first.

I am from a million addresses, a real Dad, a mom who finally followed years of - "My children come before any man!"

I am from the Little Girls, the attic, whispering on the phone in the closet.

I am from Woodbury & I'm so proud to say so!

I am from the Steeler's field, the back of the bus, winning championships & pizza parties courtesy of Bruce Connell!

I am from pom poms, perfectly polished saddle shoes, half time dances, tryouts, & walking to practices in the summer.

I am from decorating houses, football fields & Delaware Street, drinking wine coolers & creme de minthe in Kristen's bedroom closet.

I am from Fall Parades, yellow skirts & cartwheels in them, megaphones, Homecoming Dances, Proms, & feeling like I ruled the world.

I am from art class with Marge Sebest & Lance Butler, being inspired by lust to read any book assigned senior year because a brilliant man suggested it.

I am from the burning bed, Pepsi & Doritoes, stogin' around the pot, Avalon nights & hitchiking.

I am from Stone Harbor, skyline golf, Brian's breakfasts & suntan oil.

I am from girls who turn pink in the heat of the sun yet remain the Goddess of Summer!

I am from falling in love with my eternity in March of 1993.

I am from a beautiful Italian grandfather who loved me completely, but was faulty in that love to his own daughter.

I am from a family of strong women who have been taught by the matriarch to be the boss of their own lives.

I am from the Colonial Diner, Nippers...Thursday nights & Frank Annunziato, Neena's, underage drinking, the grocery getter, Sam's Club with Kath & Margie.

I am from a bad road trip & being ignored by Mr. Moyer all the way home.

I am from a phone book on the floor, my best girls & a long wait together.

I am from waking up to a woman who understood me & loved me & made me coffee as she told me she loved me no matter what.

I am from Solid Gold, Red Down Below & hearing nothing but bass, parties with his FIANCEE?, feeling ok, because she was by my side.

I am from road trips to follow bands, having a permanent alibi, being the permanent alibi for all cigarette smells.

I am from the Saturn, The Garden House, Tower Tavern, White Trash Wednesday, The Pennant, being too snobby to go to the barn, the best nights of my life.

I am from true friends, sad St. Patty's days, being left with just one of my soul mates.

I am from missing half of me but never stopping life with my other half.

I am from concerts, contests, stalking, the route, and the mind blowing VCI.

I am from "Steve, can I have his number?", I'll never be able to thank you both enough, the best gift I've ever been given.

I am from a surprise that changed my universe, can we name it Elvis, or Presley?, the smell of Burger King as I was starving, PUSH, the first sound from the man who would bless my world in a way I've never known, BATMAN.

I am from champagne & tears over a teddy bear & diamonds.

I am from sleepovers the night before the "I DO's" are said.

I am from becoming friends with the girls that shared my insane parents with me, loving them more completely than I ever thought possible.

I am from the house in the woods, Saturday night dates, hoagies from Remster's.

From the Halloween Parade, warm October birthdays, waiting for the one to ask the question.

I am from a Ford Taurus, a perfectly imperfect proposal, the day I dreamt of as a little girl...only better.

I am from sending an email & holding my breath.

I am from getting my other half back & still loving the half that stayed the course.

I am from a pregnancy test then a car accident in 24 hours, the perfect pink palace, the girl I was meant to love.

I am from hearing the worst news in my life from a man I swore would never hurt me, & knowing he couldn't help it this one time, feeling my heart fall out of my chest, wanting to help a woman I couldn't reach, knowing life would never be the same.

From trusting my heart to heal the wounds that it held, to letting my girls love me through long, hard times.

I am from taking the first step, making people love me, working my magic, getting what I want.

I am from being there to let you know I loved your father too.

I am from the new house, Mickleton again, Club Thompson, being minutes from those I love.

I am from flirting mercilessly; still coming home to the one perfect man, and being loved just the same.

From Tyler & Trevor in their very first hours, Junie May the Third becoming a beautiful, brilliant woman, feeding cats & having cooking lessons while some are in class.

I am from painting a house, birthdays on the living room floor, making a house a home.

I am from knowing children are my meaning of life & loving the knowledge that I picked my perfect mate in creating them.

I am from SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!!!, finding the meaning of life on my way to a Phillies game, knowing that the things I take for granted are some girls hopes & dreams.

I am from wanting to grow older with the girls I cherish, fearing the loss of our parents, hoping for a few more weddings.

From anticipating my sister's reaction to the greatest gift in the world, from the joy I feel in all birthdays, from looking forward to more reasons to celebrate just being.

I am from LOVE.

No comments: