Wednesday, May 21, 2008

my sister Heather...she wrote hers...I'll be doing mine later!

I absolutely loved this...it's so her life...in a NUT shell...LOL!!!!!!! 9/10ths of this is me too...so she sent it to me & I cried...this was our youth!!!


I Am From

(An exercise in identity crisis)

I am From

I am from the gas stove, from reading with a flashlight under the covers and early mornings.

I am from the Big Girls and the Little Girls, big old cars, and a cat named for Elvis.

From the old blue house, the smell of cookies baking, and the sound of pages turning.

I am from long summer days, the fireworks, nights on a blanket in the side yard under the stars.

I am from the roller skates with metal wheels, the summer breeze and swatting green head flies.

I am from soda bread and chubby cheeks, from long fingers, big feet, and Irish ancestry.

I am from the passionately liberal and the tender-hearted,

From the because I am your mother, that’s why

I am from the big round table, the Mummers Parade, and Christmas with family.

I am from small neighborhoods, field hockey practice, and friends who are sisters.

I am from the West End, games of car tag, and sneaking a beer on the tracks or in the middle of the field.

From love picnics, and pie crust that Deb made, from long conversations and the statute of limitations.

I am from the crunching leaves, the fall parade, and long nights decorating Delaware Street before a playoff game.

I am from the BOE room and pasting the White and Gold together using a ruler and a glue stick.

From band competitions and funny faces made from the across the choir room.

I am from lazy Sunday mornings, the Villanova Flu, and the all women's school.

I'm from JFK in the elevator and the girls who can buy their own drink.

From the East Coast, Boat House Row, and frat party loafers.

I am from Sr. Catherine Cunningham, cheater church, campus tours, and frozen drinks blended in the bathroom.

I am from Bell Lake, a hazy cloud, and orange vests.

I am from The Firm, and panzarotti while the acrobat on the motorcycle flies over head.

I am from Neena's the night before Thanksgiving, drinks at Nipper's and from breakfast at the Colonial.

Post Script: More recently…

I am from showering friends with gifts as they grow in new directions.

I am from new spouses that become Old Friends

From birthday parties with babies, then toddlers, and now kids that can read!!!

I am from the cat lady, then wedding plans and spread sheets, and finally carving pumpkins and freaking out about clear shoes.

I am from the NEW Old House, the porch swing, and the back 40.

From the doctor's office, cycle monitoring, injections and visits galore!

No comments: